Buying guides for the best pocket gun knives for EDC
Are you looking for the best pocket gun knives for EDC? Whether you are an outdoors person, hunter, or simply a person who needs something made with quality materials that can handle everyday tasks—the right pocket knife is essential. There are so many different types of EDC pocket knives on the market it can be daunting trying to decide which one is best suited for your needs.
Fortunately, we have taken the time to research and identify some of our favorites in this comprehensive guide to the best pocket gun knives available today. Read on to learn about our picks for fine craftsmanship and formidable functionality!
Top 6 best pocket gun knives for EDC should buy in 2023
*Note: Score is based on our score (Editor’s choice and rating)
What are pocket gun knives for EDC?
Pocket gun knives for EDC, also known as Everyday Carry Knives, are specialized pocket knives that offer both a blade and a gun-style firing mechanism. They provide the convenience and versatility of having two tools in one, making them perfect for those who like to be prepared for any situation.
With a wide variety of models available, you can find one that is suitable for everything from self defense to outdoor tasks such as cutting cords or food preparation. When choosing the right knife for your needs, it’s important to take into account how comfortable it is in hand, its size relative to what else you’ll need to carry, and how easy it is to use.
Benefits of pocket gun knives for EDC
Compact Size: Pocket gun knives are small and compact, making them ideal for everyday carry (EDC). They’re easy to store in a pocket or bag, so you can have quick access when needed.
Multi-Functionality: Pocket gun knives offer multiple functionalities, such as a knife blade, screwdriver, bottle opener, scissors, etc., making them incredibly useful for various tasks in one device.
Durability: Pocket gun knives are typically made from high-quality materials that make them durable and long-lasting. The materials used also give them superior strength against wear and tear over time.
Cost-Effective: Because of their size and features, pocket gun knives are usually more affordable than other EDC tools. This makes them great value for money and an ideal choice for those on a budget.
Safety: Pocket gun knives are designed with safety in mind, so you can rest assured that they won’t accidentally cause any harm while you’re carrying them around. They also come with locking mechanisms to ensure that the blade is secure when not in use.
Pros and cons of pocket gun knives for EDC
- Compact: Pocket gun knives are highly compact and lightweight, making them ideal for everyday carry. They easily fit into your pocket, bag, or purse, so you can have access to a reliable knife at all times.
- Versatile: Pocket gun knives offer a variety of features that make them versatile enough for any task. Depending on the type of knife you choose, you can get blades with serrated edges, gut hooks, bottle openers, and more.
- Affordable: Pocket gun knives tend to be more affordable than larger folding knives or fixed blade knives. This makes them an excellent choice for those who want a high quality EDC without breaking the bank.
- Risk of Injury: Due to the small size and sharp blade of pocket gun knives, there is an increased risk of injury when using them for anything other than basic cutting tasks. It’s important to be very careful when handling any type of knife, but even more so with these types of knives due to their size and weight.
- Difficult To Sharpen: The short blades of pocket gun knives are often difficult to sharpen once they become dulled from long-term use. This can be a major issue when trying to keep your EDC in optimal condition.
How to use pocket gun knives for EDC?
- Make sure to check your local laws and regulations before carrying a pocket knife or firearm, as certain areas may have tighter restrictions than others.
- Familiarize yourself with the different types of pocket knives available for EDC (everyday carry). This includes folding blades, switchblades, balisongs (butterfly knives), fixed blade knives, and multi-tools. Pocket guns are also an option if you wish to carry a gun on a daily basis. Research what kind of knife fits your needs best and be aware of the legal requirements in regard to length and opening mechanism.
- Once you’ve chosen your pocket knife or gun, make sure that it is always kept in good condition. Clean and oil your blades regularly, and ensure that the gun is free of any dirt or debris.
- Be aware of your environment at all times. This includes being mindful of where you store your pocket knife or gun and when it is appropriate to take it out in public. Respect those around you by always keeping it safely stored away until needed.
- Practice proper safety techniques with your pocket knife or gun if you decide to carry them on a daily basis. Wear eye protection whenever working with sharp objects and make sure that you are familiar with the manual safety features of your weapon before carrying it around in public places.
- Buy a suitable pocket knife or gun holster to make sure that your weapon is always securely stored away and you have easy access to it in the event of an emergency.
- Lastly, be sure to practice responsible carry habits while using your pocket knife or firearm. Never use either inappropriately, and always abide by the laws and regulations set in place in your area. With proper safety training and knowledge, carrying a pocket knife or gun for everyday activities can be done safely and responsibly!
Common mistakes when using pocket gun knives for EDC
- Trying to use the knife as a self defense weapon: Pocket gun knives should never be used for self-defense, as they are not powerful enough to do any real damage in a confrontation.
- Making the blade too long and heavy: The blades of pocket gun knives are meant to be short and lightweight for easy carrying, so making them longer or heavier can make them more difficult to carry around.
- Buying cheap quality pocket gun knives: Low-quality pocket knives can have weak mechanisms that will break quickly with regular use, so it’s best to invest in a higher quality model if you plan on using your knife often.
- Not properly cleaning or oiling your pocket gun knife: Over time, pocket knives can become dull or clogged with debris from regular use. To keep your knife in top condition, it’s important to clean and oil it regularly.
- Not practicing safe knife handling techniques: Pocket gun knives are sharp tools and must be handled with care to avoid injury. Always remember to open and close the blade away from your body and fingers, keep the blade away from other people, and never point the blame at someone else.
Factors to consider before buying pocket gun knives for EDC:
Quality: Invest in a knife with quality materials and construction that will ensure it can handle everyday tasks and wear and tear. Look for knives made of high-grade stainless steel, titanium, or other durable metals, as well as ergonomic designs that fit comfortably in your hand.
Blade Length & Lock Mechanism: Consider the size of the blade you need for EDC tasks such as opening boxes or cutting rope. Make sure it has an efficient locking mechanism for safety, like a liner lock or frame lock.
Carry Options: Most pocket knives come with either a pocket clip or keychain loop so you can easily attach them to your belt loop, pocket, or bag strap when not in use. Choose the carry option that fits your lifestyle the best.
Price: Set a budget for the type of knife you want and make sure it meets all of your needs before making a purchase. There are plenty of quality EDC knives available at various price points, so you can find one that’s within your means.
Warranty: Quality pocket knives should come with a warranty to protect against any defects or malfunctions due to manufacturing errors or normal wear-and-tear over time. Look for brands that offer long warranties in case something does happen to go wrong with your knife.
User Reviews: Research user reviews online to get an idea of what other customers think about certain pocket knife models. This can help you decide which knife is worth the investment and which ones to avoid.
Design: EDC pocket knives come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and styles. Choose one that fits your personal style or consider getting multiple knives for different occasions or tasks.
Weight: The weight of a pocket knife is an important consideration when it comes to EDC use— too heavy and it will be uncomfortable to carry around all day; too light and it won’t be able to handle tough tasks. Look for a knife that has a good balance of light weight and strength.
Brand: Choose a reliable, well-known brand for your EDC pocket knife as this will likely mean higher quality materials and construction than lesser-known brands. Consider looking at customer reviews of the various knife makers before making a purchase to get an idea of which brands have the best reputation.
Tips to use pocket gun knives for EDC
- Make sure you have a secure grip when using the knife. Always keep your fingers away from the blade and be mindful of where it is pointed.
- Try to avoid opening the pocket knife one-handed as this can be dangerous. Opt for two hands instead, with your dominant hand holding the handle and your other hand supporting it at the base of the blade or hilt.
- When closing a pocket knife, make sure to use both hands for safety and stability, but also keep your fingers away from the sharp edge of the blade as you do so.
- Remember to always inspect your pocket knife before use to ensure it is in proper working condition without any damage that could make it hazardous.
- For added security, consider investing in a pocket knife with a locking mechanism to prevent accidental opening while you’re carrying it.
- Store your pocket knife out of reach from children and others who may not use it safely. This also ensures that it is always available when you need it but stored away from prying eyes or hands.
- Care for your pocket knife regularly by cleaning, oiling, and sharpening the blade as needed to maintain its effectiveness and longevity.
- Always be aware of any local and state laws that may apply to pocket knives and use them respectfully when in public places.
- Finally, take the time to practice using your pocket knife safely before you find yourself in an emergency situation where it is needed. This will give you more confidence with the tool in a stressful moment.
FAQs about best pocket gun knives for EDC
How often should you sharpen your EDC knife?
The answer to this question depends largely on how often you use your EDC knife. If you are using your EDC knife daily, then it should be sharpened once a month or so. If, however, you rarely use the knife, then it may be possible to go several months between sharpenings.
It is important to note that if an EDC knife is not regularly maintained with proper sharpening and lubrication, the blade will eventually become dull and difficult to use as intended.
Therefore, it is crucial that users of an EDC knife take responsibility for its upkeep and make sure they are keeping their blades in top condition by sharpening them as needed.
How can you use pocket gun knives for EDC?
Pocket gun knives are extremely versatile and can be used for a variety of everyday tasks. They make an excellent EDC (everyday carry) tool, as they are small enough to remain discreet but still capable of handling a wide range of tasks.
Pocket gun knives can be used for opening boxes or packages, cutting rope or cordage, trimming excess fabric from clothing, preparing food, tightening screws and bolts, prying open cans or containers, and more.
Additionally, pocket gun knives are great for self-defense in the event of an emergency situation. With its sharp blade and secure locking system, it is a reliable tool that you can rely on when you need it most.
While a gun is the best self-defense tool available, it isn’t always practical to carry one around with you. That’s where a pocket knife comes in handy. A good quality pocket knife can be just as effective as a gun in some situations and can be carried without attracting attention.
In this article, we’ve taken a look at some of the best pocket gun knives for EDC purposes. We hope that this list has helped you narrow down your options and find the perfect knife for your needs.